Re: RPM 4 under cygwin

One of the guys on my team here has ported the current version of RPM, once
he cleans up his patch, we will send out to you all.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 08:54 AM 12/19/2001, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >I am new to Cygwin and would like to know if someone is porting RPM 4 to
> >Cygwin. There are two reasons for this question:
> >
> >1) PHP library and application installer
> >I am developping a PHP library installer based on RPM. Presently, if no RPM
> >solution is available under Cygwin, my installer will only work under Linux.
>

> There have been ports of RPM 3 previously reported to this list.  See the
> email archives or perhaps the port web page for more information.  I don't
> recall seeing anyone reportedly working on RPM 4.
>

> >2) Cygwin packages
> >Could someone explain me what are the benefits of Cygwin packages over RPM.
> >Do Cygwin packages test dependencies and validate signatures? When a stable
> >version of KDE 2 is running under Cygwin, will you be able to maintain all
> >needed dependencies?
>

> setup.exe recently added the ability to track dependencies between
> packages, though dependencies on certain versions of other packages is
> still to come.
>

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>

> --

Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisB
Senior System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes the
       wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers