Re: RPM 4 under cygwin

At 08:54 AM 12/19/2001, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I am new to Cygwin and would like to know if someone is porting RPM 4 to
>Cygwin. There are two reasons for this question:
>
>1) PHP library and application installer
>I am developping a PHP library installer based on RPM. Presently, if no RPM
>solution is available under Cygwin, my installer will only work under Linux.

There have been ports of RPM 3 previously reported to this list.  See the
email archives or perhaps the port web page for more information.  I don't
recall seeing anyone reportedly working on RPM 4.

>2) Cygwin packages
>Could someone explain me what are the benefits of Cygwin packages over RPM.
>Do Cygwin packages test dependencies and validate signatures? When a stable
>version of KDE 2 is running under Cygwin, will you be able to maintain all
>needed dependencies?

setup.exe recently added the ability to track dependencies between
packages, though dependencies on certain versions of other packages is
still to come.