Random 'Signal 11' during configure/make [of gcc]

   I have need to prove that I can compile up a gcc 2.95.3 with
the latest libstdc++ (to get the proper C++ STL).

   I've set up cygwin as best as seems necessary, and fetched
the latest gcc & libstdc++ source (gcc from the cygwin src dist.).

   However, whenever I do a 'configure' in a clean directory, I
get random 'Signal 11' (seg. viol.?) messages come up, mostly in
the checking phase, but occasionally also in the
Makefile-generation phase at the end.

   They don't appear to happen in the same place each time.

   Typically, though, a 'strace -f' gave me a 246Mb output with
/no/ 'signal 11's at all :-/

   After that seeming success, I'm doing a make, but I can see
the signals happening there occasionally again, so I don't hold
out much hope of a working build.

   Any ideas?

   FWIW, this is on NT; I installed Cygwin onto a network drive,
but then put it onto my C: drive in case that was the problem;
I'm currently running with '/' mounted off the network
(primarily for the /etc changes I made initially), but pretty
well everything else from the local install.

   I don't think my attempted insertion of the 2.95.3-compat.
new libstdc++ has any bearing on the problem.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature