RE: mutt/procmail lock problem

From: Jason Tishler [mailto:jason@tishler.net]
> Gary,
>
> I just discovered a locking problem with mutt 1.3.x that I believe
> also affects the mutt 1.2.x that you contributed to Cygwin.  This lock
> problem caused procmail to misfile messages to the wrong mbox file when
> mutt happened to be writing to the mbox file that should have received
> the message.  Under this situation, procmail complains to its logfile
> with error messages of the following form:
>
>     Error while writing to "x"
>
> IMO, the root cause is due to "incorrect" group permissions for
> "/var/spool/mail" on the build machine:
>
>     $ ls -ld /var/spool/mail
>     drwxr-xr-x    2 jtishler Administ        0 Dec 17 09:06 /var/spool/mail
>          ^
>          +--- should be writable

Sure enough, it isn't here.  Good catch!

> When built on such a machine, mutt's configure does not enable dotlocking:
>
>     $ mutt -v
>     Mutt 1.2.5i (2000-07-28)
>     [snip]
>     System: CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.6(0.47/3/2) [using ncurses 5.2]
>     Compile options:
>     -DOMAIN
>     -DEBUG
>     -HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  -USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I recommend "fixing" the permissions of "/var/spool/mail" on your machine:
>
>     $ chmod g+w /var/spool/mail

Done and done, and of course... it does nothing for me.  Either with ntsec or no
ntsec, ls -l comes back exactly the same.  Dag nabbit.  Well at least I know
what needs fixing now.  If I can't get the group permissions set right, perhaps
I can force the configure somehow.

> and then releasing a new mutt package.

Or perhaps... two? ;-)  Thanks for the heads-up Jason, this is great info,
especially since I don't use procmail currently and would otherwise probably
never have caught this, let alone figured out what to do about it.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.