linking C++ code against library from fortran sources

Hi everybody,

I have a bunch of old numerical fortran77 sources, which I compiled with g77
and archived into, say libMyF77.a.

I want those f77 functions to be called from w/i a c++ program.

Here are my two questions:

1. to satisfy the compiler, I have to declare the functions used as
'extern'. Which language string should I be using?
"FORTRAN" as language string (as I had used on other platforms, such as AIX)
is not recognized by gcc/g++
 gcc/g++ accepts only either "C" or nothing (or ????). Which is the right
one here?
2. the linker complains about the functions used as undefined references. I
think I've told the linker properly, where to look for archives (-L<path to
libMyF77.a> -lMyF77). What am I doing wrong? Do I have to do something
special when archiving? Do I have to raise another magic flag for the
linker????

Any light shed onto the subject is severely appreciated!
Hans