creating shortcuts.. question

I'm using the CreateLink example from the platform sdk but I'm having
trouble getting it to work. I checked the archives and there were three
posts related to this but not enough to help me, I need some clarification
on one of them too.

I've made a short example of where I'm left running into trouble -- this is
run against the latest cygwin for windows as I've just upgraded it with
setup again this morning.

--
#include <windows.h>
#include <shlobj.h>

int main() {

     IShellLink* psl;

        psl->SetPath("testing");
        psl->SetDescription("string");

        }

--
gcc conf1.c -o conf1 -lshell32
conf1.c: In function 'main':

I checked the include files and they do show STDMETHOD wrappers within the
IShellLinkA and IShellLinkW structures. I compiled with -save-temps as well
and they show up in the conf1.i file as follows:

 HRESULT(__attribute__((__stdcall__))   * Resolve ) (IShellLinkA  *,
HWND,DWORD)  ;
 HRESULT(__attribute__((__stdcall__))   * SetPath ) (IShellLinkA  *,
LPCSTR)  ;

Does everything look correct? I realize the above C example won't do
anything functional however I'm confused as to whats causing it to fail
compiling.