grep refusing to descend into directories on Win95

grep has been refusing to descend into directories on my Win95
computer.  It says it has been refused permission.  This is true
  in both the 12/05/2001 and the 12/04/2001 versions of CygWin
(when it didn't work, I did an update, and I had just updated
recently).  I tried closing every application (well, the visible
ones), it didn't make any difference.  If I named the directory
in the command (grep -i MyClassEdit demo/*) then it refused to
descend into the subdirectories.

Any suggestions?
--
Charles Hixson

Copy software legally, the GNU way!
Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
See http://www.gnu.org
     http://www.redhat.com
     http://www.linux-mandrake.com
     http://www.calderasystems.com/