problems compiling curl under Cygwin

cURL just released a new version, so I tried to compile it. I ran into
an error during compilation, so I tried compiling a previous version of
curl (which used to compile just fine), and it doesn't work either. So,
I jumped onto another machine with no pre-existing version of cygwin (in
case I screwed something up during my recent toying with lilypond), and
added all the latest cygwin bits and pieces, and tried yet again. I get
the same error in all three places, which leads me to believe there's a
problem with some recent change to cygwin...

The first machine mentioned above is Win2k pro (with Cygwin on a FAT
partition); the second is an NT 4 Server, at SP6a, with cygwin on an
NTFS partition. All mount modes are Unix.

After mucking with it a bit myself, I found that with ``./configure
--disable-shared'', it works fine. Of course, I would prefer to make
libcurl.dll available as I have in the past...

Could one of you cygwin gurus grab the source code for cURL (the version
available via the cygwin setup.exe should work for this experiment) and
try compiling (normal ./configure & make will do) and see if you get the
same error? Assuming you do, could you try tracking down the actual
problem? It's probably an issue with one of the commands libtool calls,
however I can't figure out which one.

Here's the error I'm seeing:

The first sign of trouble was this error during a standard `make`:

  Making all in lib
  make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/curl-7.9.2-1/bld/lib'
  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o libcurl.la
   -rpath /usr/lib -no-undefined -version-info 2:2:0 file.lo
   timeval.lo base64.lo hostip.lo progress.loformdata.lo
   cookie.lo http.lo sendf.lo ftp.lo url.lo dict.lo if2ip.lo
   speedcheck.lo getdate.lo ldap.lo ssluse.lo version.lo getenv.lo
   escape.lo mprintf.lo telnet.lo getpass.lo netrc.lo getinfo.lo
   transfer.lo strequal.lo easy.lo security.lokrb4.lo memdebug.lo
   http_chunks.lo strtok.lo connect.lo  -lssl -lcrypto
  rm -fr .libs/libcurl.la .libs/libcurl.* .libs/libcurl.*
  generating symbol list for `libcurl.la'
   dlltool --export-all --exclude-symbols DllMain@12,
    _cygwin_dll_entry@12,_cygwin_noncygwin_dll_entry@12,
    DllMainCRTStartup@12,DllEntryPoint@12 --output-def
    .libs/cygcurl-2.dll-def  file.lo timeval.lo base64.lo
    hostip.lo progress.lo formdata.lo cookie.lo http.lo
    sendf.lo ftp.lo url.lo dict.lo if2ip.lo speedcheck.lo
    getdate.lo ldap.lo ssluse.lo version.lo getenv.lo
    escape.lo mprintf.lo telnet.lo getpass.lo netrc.lo
    getinfo.lo transfer.lo strequal.lo easy.lo security.lo
    krb4.lo memdebug.lo http_chunks.lo strtok.lo connect.lo
  sed -e "1,/EXPORTS/d" -e "s/ @ [0-9]*//" -e "s/ *;.*$//"
   < .libs/cygcurl-2.dll-def > .libs/libcurl.exp
  Signal 11
  make[2]: *** [libcurl.la] Error 139
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/curl-7.9.2-1/bld/lib'
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/curl-7.9.2-1/bld'
  make: *** [all] Error 2

The sed command and also the dlltool command seemed to work fine, so I
ran the libtool command with its "--debug" flag enabled, and piped the
output into libtool.out, as follows:

 $ /bin/sh ../libtool --debug --mode=link gcc  ... > libtool.txt 2>&1
 Segmentation fault (core dumped)

and saw a segmentation fault.

Attached is the contents of libtool.txt, if it helps any.

If there's anything I can do to help pin this down, I'd love to! Just
tell me what (and probably how). If you think there's a better mailing
list to shoot this towards, I'll be glad to.

--Kevin