Re: GCC : -static option does not generate statically linked executable

T-FERNANDEZ@dassault-data-services.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to generate an executable, using "gcc -static" option.
> The generated file is dynamically linked! As if the "-static" option was
> simply ignored.
>
> The output of "cygcheck" is as follows :
>
> Error: could not find libX11.dll
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\USER32.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\GDI32.dll
>         C:\WINNT\System32\ADVAPI32.dll
>           C:\WINNT\System32\RPCRT4.dll
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\COMDLG32.DLL
>       C:\WINNT\System32\SHELL32.dll
>         C:\WINNT\System32\COMCTL32.dll
>
> One can see that the X11 DLL library is not found : however, I use the
> -static option of gcc, before the -lX11 stuff, as mentioned in the
> documentation.
> I expect the compiler to link against libX11.a, so what happens?
>
> Any idea would be greatly appreciated,

-static will cause the linker to link against a static lib IF POSSIBLE.
  However, it really just means "hunt for '.a' instead of '.dll.a' or
'.dll'"

.dll.a == import lib for a dll
.dll   == the linker has a limited ability to link directly to a dll
*without* using an import lib.
.a     == static lib (mostly *)

(*) The problem: many packages -- including X -- name their *import*
libs using the .a suffix.  So, when you specify -static, the linker
diligently links against the .a file == an import lib == and you get a
dynamically linked executable.

When this sort of behavior happens, it's usually becuase there IS no
static library at all -- you CAN'T link statically.  (The X libraries
are a good example; cygwin-xfree project does NOT provide static libs.)

Also, note that you can't link a cygwin program *fully* statically -- at
minimum, it will require cygwin1.dll...

As far as your particular "can't find libX11.dll" problem -- add
/usr/X11R6/bin to your system PATH.

--Chuck