Shortcuts and symlinks

Hello,
I am running the cygwin 1.3.5 on an XP Pro machine.
I'm trying to have shortcuts created in explorer be recognized as symlinks
by cygwin, but to no avail.  At the most basic, if I create a directory
called foo in my home dir, then in explorer drag and create a shortcut
called bar, I see the bar.lnk file, but I can't change dir into it.  file
shows it as a ms shortcut:
    :~$ file bar.lnk
    bar.lnk: ms-Windows shortcut
I'd also like to get this working for files, drag file as shortcuts in
explorer and have them appear as symlinks in cygwin.  This fails in the same
way.

After reading the faq, and in particular section 40 (Why can't I cd into a
shortcut?) I'm particularly confused.  The quote
    "Since version 1.3.0, Cygwin treats shortcuts as symlinks. "
implies that this should just work, or am I missunderstanding how cygwin
treats shortcuts?

Any ideas?
thanks,
Oren