Breakage in Make/Bash

Hi,

We've just updated to the latest cygwin release and suddenly our build
system broke...

In a rxvt running bash this happens:

$ set | grep HOSTTYPE
HOSTTYPE=i686
$ printenv | grep HOSTTYPE
$

Why is $HOSTTYPE defined in the output of 'set' but not 'printev',
whereas it used to be (on a cygwin machine which was last updated a few
weeks ago).  This is probably related to the other issue - in a makefile
this:
-------
test:
	echo xx${HOSTTYPE}xx
-------

Produces the output "xxxx".

Is the current bash broken, or is this a weird new "feature"?

Thanks for any help,
Ross

PS: where is ed?
--
Ross Burton                     Software Engineer
OneEighty Software Ltd          Tel: +44 20 8680 8712