RE: Setup Failed to Create /home directory (virtual cygwin root has changed)

At 01:50 PM 11/19/2001, Garrett Anderson wrote:
>Hello Cygwin --
>
>I ran environ. test described below and received following:
>
>DOS (via Win2k)
>
>    Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
>    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
>
>    C:\>echo %HOME%
>    %HOME%
>

>Cygwin Bash:
>
>    garretta@P233 ~
>    $ echo $HOME
>    /cygdrive/c
>
>Again, this is not a config. change on my end but only occurred after recent cygwin module update.   I searched for "home" and "bash" together and found nothing obvious.

Actually, I found at least a dozen related messages for bash and some
additional ones popped up regarding OSTYPE when I went looking (as a
result of your mail message).  Here's two that I found very pertinent.

>I would expect a code change such as this to be documented for all (probably is somewhere).

Good guess.  It is documented in the announcement from Chet Ramey of the
availability of bash-2.05a:

>Pls help... -GA

Best I can do.  See if you can make this information work for you.
I remember seeing more discussions on this subject as well, although
they may have been on the Cygwin developers list (which you may want
to check).  Sorry, I can't remember more specific pointers and I can't
take the time now to go chasing it down for you.