Who "fixed" md5sum??

Hi,

I have a question about md5sum.  It seems like in one of the not
too distant releases of textutils, the md5sum program altered it's
behaviour.  Before the change, it would act like the debian/linux
variety, in that if you would do an
md5sum < <somefile>
you would get a result, and that would be all, e.g.:

This is the result from my debian box.....

mgpaulus@testbox1:/smbapps/cygwin.pkg$ md5sum < setup.exe
d91a97dcd67b7cb9c6aaa408cf431b01

Here's the same result, except from my cygwin environment:
$ md5sum < setup.exe
d91a97dcd67b7cb9c6aaa408cf431b01 *-

My problem is the little '*-' at the end...  I have several unix ported scripts
that run md5sum, and expect only the significant md5sum digits, and the
trailing stuff is causing all the scripts to break.  Would it be possible
to get either
1) a rational for adding the trailing stuff, and making it act
differently than it's un*x cousin;

and/or

2) an ability to turn that "feature" off,
if everyone else absolutely requires it??

Thanks....