tetex-beta nitpicking [WAS: Re: no more package moratorium?]

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:
 > http://lilypond.org/wiki/?TroubleshootingWindows).  We currently use
 > and distribute MikTeX, because it works reliable, and right out of the
 > box.

You can't even install MiKTeX unless you run the latest Windows or the
latest Internet Explorer.

 >  But I'd much rather we could use tetex.  Using MikTeX from
 > cygwin is `cygpath hell'.

I have instructions about installing a SGML system on Windows which
also uses TeX for the printable output:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/cygbook1.html

I provide a very simple shell script (for SGML->PS/PDF
transformations) that takes care of the 'cygpath hell'. It is not that
hard. It used to work for MiKTeX and works now for fpTeX and for
Cygwin teTeX (and even for TeX on Unix platforms).

 > > Please try to provide useful bug reports. "Is broke, please
 > > fix" does not count as useful, IMHO.
 >
 > Tetex-beta, as installed by setup.exe (v1.3.5) fails the first simple
 > LaTeX test:
 >
 >     tineke@DOOS ~$ latex sample2e
 >     This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.3)
 >     I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
 >     tineke@DOOS $ uname -a
 >     CYGWIN_98-4.10 DOOS 1.3.5(0.47/3/2) 2001-11-13 23:16 i586 unknown

Did you install the teTeX texmf tree? Just installing Tetex-beta is
not enough, as explained by the Tetex-beta readme. This was also
discussed on this list right after the first release of this
package.

regards,
Markus

--