SSHD won't start as service

Dear All,

I've just solved a propblem and thought I should let the list know. I found
that I could not start SSHD as a service using cygrunsrv despite following
all the advice in readme's, old mail messages and Mike Erderly's WEB pages.
I've just resolved this as follows:

It turns out there was a minor problem in the sshd_config file. The line
'CheckMail No' caused sshd to output an error message saying ;Checkmail
feature deprecated'. This was going to either stdout or stderr which I can
only assume was not available when sshd ran as a service and so caused to to
hang. Removing the line fixed the problem.

I've not tried it, but I would assume that redirecting stdout and stderr to
a file when installing sshd as a service would also solve the problem.
Perhaps the advice in the READMEs could be updated to reflect this.

I tested it as follows:

	1) I used the AT command to start up a command rpompt window. Using
AT causes it run under the SYSTEM account, just as sshd would as a service.
The command I used was: 'at 18:24 /interactive cmd'

	2) IN the command prompt window, I then ran sshd manually using:

		c:\cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe -D

which gave me the message about chackmail, but it did let me connect with
ssh.

	3) I then removed the checkmail option from the config file and then
tried starting the service and hey presto it worked!

I hope this can be of use to anyone else out there with similar problems.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Deputy to the Head of COS Division, Manchester Computing,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.