RE: [BUG] in Setup (IMHO), concerning version scanning & extentions

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 19:55, Ronald Landheer wrote:

> I'm trying to reproduce the bug now.. (haven't actually looked at the
> update number last time).
>
> The answer is yes: update numbers are the same. "Install from Internet"
> downloads everything on reinstall - regardless of whether I have it or
> not, but "Install from local directory" gives me the availability of the
> pack (which is right) but can't find it on unpack (which IMHO is wrong).
> Notably, the filenames in setup.ini and in my directory tree to NOT
> match (.tar.gz vs .tar.bz2).
> IMHO, setup should be more flexible here.

I don't see any reason to handle this case in setup: IMO it's bad
practice on the maintainers behalf (until now mitigated by the fact that
noone had predicted this :}).

> Another error, though: newlib-man is in the cygwin directory in my
> dirtree (and found, so not downloaded again and offered as being there)
> and assumed to be in the newlib-man directory (under latest) and thus,
> not found for unpacking. setup.ini dates from today, dirtree (on itself)
> doesn't - meaning I downloaded the newlib-man pack a while ago, don't
> know when exactly, nor from where, but do know I used setup to do it.

So to reproduce this, one moves newlib-man-..tgz from latest/newlib-man
to latest/cygwin/ ?

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to use the same search for "packages I don't
> have to download" and "packages I'm going to unpack"? Like that, you'll
> at least have the same results twice.
> OK, OK, chiming.. This is getting close to an "if it itches, scratch it
> yourself" kinda thing.. Sorry..

No worries, uhmm, AFAICT setup uses identical logic to locate the files,
it doesn't 'search' at all. It's all controlled via setup.ini. So
newlib-man shouldn't be found at all, it doesn't exist. There is a scan
local process, which might be causing the confusion because the
newlib-man you've got has the same base as the setup.ini listed one.

The solution would be to ensure that locally found files don't get
merged with setup.ini listed tarballs.

Rob