Re: no command output via ssh

hello...

+-------------------
| Saturday, 27 October, 2001 Alex BATKO abatko@milquetoast.cs.mcgill.ca wrote:
|
| AB> Hi Egor, I normally start sshd by typing it into the console.
| AB> I had once tried starting it as a w2k service, but that didn't work.
|
| a lot of people had successfully installed sshd as a service on nt/w2k
| and using it without problems. you're probably doing something wrong.
| take a look at README from openssh package, it contains comprehensive
| instructions about setting up sshd as a service.

I have now fixed the problem, and successfully installed sshd as an
automatic service on both of our win2k domain controllers.  The problem
was that I had not included the path of cygwin1.dll in the PATH
environment variable of the owner of the service.  After rebooting the
machines, sshd worked immediately.

| AB> I've got inetd.exe, but not /etc/inetd.conf.
| AB> Can you suggest something ?
|
| you should install inetutils package. it contains iu-config script
| which creates inetd.conf

The problem with this solution is that running sshd from inetd is
really slow.  In the manpage for sshd it states that if started from
inetd, sshd will be slow because it has to generate the server key
before it can respond to the client (and this takes a long time).

| sshd can be corrected to work around those "clever" applications when
| it's started directly, without inetd, and it's not that hard to provide
| a patch similar to inetd's one, but now, using inetd is your only
| option.

What do you mean by saying that using inetd is is now my only option ?
Is this because the patch is not available ?  Can you please clarify ?

Thanks a lot for your help thus far.