Re: 1.3.3 gcc problem

Punk Page Peter wrote:

>>Really. There sould be an #cygwin irc channel somewhere. Might decrease the amout of crap on
>>this list.
>>

> ...done.
> Server: irc.xs4all.nl (or any other IRCnet-server, see
> http://www.ircnet.com/servers.html for a list of servers) and join the
> channel #cygwin

Maybe I'm just a luddite -- I don't do the IRC thing or the IM thing --
but how does having an IRC channel help?  If the idea is to "decrease
the amount of crap on this list" -- where would the crap go?  To the IRC
channel?

If so, then who is going to volunteer to sit there in the channel
waiting for the crap?  And (heaven forbid) if there is an actual,
non-crap question asked in the channel, and someone (surprised by the
unexpected non-crap) answers it -- that non-crap exchange is not
archived in the mailing list archives...it's just *gone*.

My point (and again, maybe I'm just a luddite 'cause I don't "get it"):
how is this different -- from a logistical standpoint -- than just
setting up a second, competing mailing list?  Obviously nobody would
support *that* -- so why *this*?  (yeah yeah IRC real time blah blah no
waiting biddy blah)

--Chuck