Re: rsh: "Permission denied" on file creation. Cygwin 1.3.3 on W2K Adv Srv SP2.

If you are running inetd as a service on the cygwin box,
the default account it runs as is SYSTEM. You can change
this to be a real account- SYSTEM is "an NT artifact" and
really has very few effective rights, other than being
able to run things as a service. The user that you run
the inetd service as (an admin equivalent is recommended,
especially for testing purposes until you figure out what
rights you need or don't need) may need additional rights, these
can be found in the inetutils-1.x.x-README file in
/usr/doc/cygwin, or maybe it is in the FAQ, I am not sure.

HTH,
Peter

"JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" wrote:

> Whenever I try to create a file through rsh I get a "Permission denied".
> Other commands issued through rsh work.
> rcp constantly returns "Permission denied" when creating a new file, but can
> overwrite an existing one.
>
> Below is a transcript of two sessions from a linux box sc8, where I am
> logged in as the user "vmware". The machine jhje-linux is a Linux box,
> having the user jhje; sc-libpharm01 is the cygwin box having the user libx.
> Both of these users have an .rhosts file (permission 600) in their home
> directory with the single entry
>
>         sc8     vmware
>
> I can remove and modify existing files on the cygwin box, but cannot create
> new files. This works fine on the Linux box.
>
> I am logged into the correct directory as the correct user as shown by
> whoami and pwd executed through rsh. Is the remote environment still screwed
> up someway, or could it be a Windows file security issue ?
>
> I have tried creating a new directory /testdir to see if my home directory's
> permissions were at fault. Same thing. I have not touched the permissions on
> the home directories. They were created for me by cygwin when starting a
> bash shell as Administrator and libx.
>
> best regards
>
> -- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark
> ==========================
> System configuration: Win2000 Adv. Server SP2 with Cygwin 1.3.3, inetutils
> 1.3.2-14, installed using setup.exe from the mirror at
> ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/mirrors/cygwin.
>
> Accounts: Administrator and libx.
>
> ---------------------- Accessing the linux box, creating a file and cat'ing
> it --------------------

> [...]