texconfig rehash not working on Win98

Hello,

I installed tetex both on a WinNT and a Win98 machine running Cygwin.

I first installed the tetex texmf tree to /usr/share/texmf/, then
re-installed
the tetex package.

On both machines the only change I did was to change the TEXMFMAIN
var in the texmf.cnf file to /usr/share/texmf/.

Then I did run 'texconfig confall', 'texconfig rehash' and 'texconfig init'
on both machines. No obvious errors. But when I try to create the
small2e.dvi file, I get the message 'latex.fmt not found' on the Win98
machine. On WinNT, everything works fine.

But latex.fmt resides on both machines in /usr/share/texmf/web2c/.

So - my question is: Is there any difference between Win98 and WinNT
with regard to tetex?

One hint might be that on Win98 the ls-R file is not being re-created using
'texconfig rehash'. Whereas on WinNT mktexlsr prints two lines like

mktexlsr: file /usr/share/texmf/ls-R is being recreated...
mktexlsr: Done.

on Win98 I only get the latter line and ls-R is still from Feb, 1st 2000.

TIA

Bye

Clemens Quoss