Re: SPAM - Re: (((((((-= Enter To Win One of 25 Dream Vacations!! =-)))))))

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 01:42:51AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Sigh.  I *know* I shouldn't extend this thread, but I just can't help
>myself.
>
>1) There IS filtering of messages.  There are FAR more spams received by
>the maillist processor than actually make it out to all of us on the
>cygwin list.
>
>2) Perhaps LKML's filtering is better than ours.  However, some of the
>draconian measures used by LKML have resulted in many "false positives"
>-- I seem to recall one long-time, well-respected kernel hacker who
>eventually gave up on the kernel, because he was continually being
>rejected by the auto-spam filter.
>
>3) Cygwin used to use ORBS to block spam.  However, AFAIRC, ORBS is
>dead, MAPS has been taken over by the borg and the dirty tricks squad,
>etc etc.  Basically, it seems as though the spammer's lawyer-vampires
>have managed to neuter these spam-block services.  (I'm vague on the
>details, go do a web search on cnet.com or slashdot for more info...)

The list of spam blockers that we use is at
http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html.

It's a little out of date now since I removed MAPS and RSS and added
spews.org but it at least talks about the measures we take.

We block a lot of spam every day.  Some gets through.

Sorry.  I couldn't resist responding to a reasonable voice.

cgf