sshd as a service question: fatal: setuid 400: not owner

Folks;

We're trying to switch from Atamann telnetd which we hate to Cygwin's sshd
for our NT 4 servers.

We've got sshd otherwise properly configured, if we run it from the command
line in -d mode we can successfully connect no problem.

However, when we run it as a service, we get the above error whenever
someone tries to log in.

Here's the full error from the event log:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) could not be found.
It contains the following insertion string(s):
sshd : Win32 Process Id = 0xBD : Cygwin Process Id = 0xBD : fatal: setuid
400: Not owner

 From the client side, we get:

black-racer% /usr/local/bin/ssh -v flame-flunky
SSH Version 1.2.27 [sparc-sun-solaris2.7], protocol version 1.5.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
black-racer: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
black-racer: ssh_connect: getuid 400 geteuid 400 anon 1
black-racer: Connecting to flame-flunky [10.2.130.22] port 22.
black-racer: Connection established.
black-racer: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_2.9.9p2
black-racer: Waiting for server public key.
black-racer: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
black-racer: Host 'flame-flunky' is known and matches the host key.
black-racer: Initializing random; seed file /users/releng/.ssh/random_seed
black-racer: IDEA not supported, using 3des instead.
black-racer: Encryption type: 3des
black-racer: Sent encrypted session key.
black-racer: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
black-racer: Received encrypted confirmation.
black-racer: No agent.
black-racer: Trying RSA authentication with key 'releng@atlas'
black-racer: Received RSA challenge from server.
black-racer: Sending response to host key RSA challenge.
black-racer: Remote: RSA authentication accepted.
black-racer: RSA authentication accepted by server.
black-racer: Requesting pty.
black-racer: Requesting shell.
black-racer: Entering interactive session.
Last login: Wed Oct 10 18:46:14 2001 from black-racer.atg.com
Connection to flame-flunky closed by remote host.
Connection to flame-flunky closed.
black-racer: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 64, stderr 87 bytes in 0.4 seconds
black-racer: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 167.7, stderr 227.9
black-racer: Exit status -1
black-racer%

Any clues please? I've got a piece of my reputation staked on this being a
workable solution, so any help would be a boon :)

Thanks!

-Chris