Re: Fetchmail with what SMTP server?

 >David J. Wilson schrieb am 2001-10-05, 13:47:

 >>Hi,
 >>
 >>Just wondering if anyone out there's using Fetchmail...?
 >>
 >>I want to use it in conjunction with an IMAP server and procmail, but
 >>it seems that a local SMTP server is required for this.  What is being
 >>used for this?

 >You can use every smtp server that you can install on
 >windows32.
 >I used for a long time 'dmail' from netwinsite which is
 >free for personal use.  There are also several other free
 >ones. At last I used xmail -> www.xmailserver.org which is
 >really great and fast.

 >Now I use a commercial product which acts as a gateway/proxy-
 >mail-, news-, ftp-, http-, server/proxy all-in-one (mailtraq).

 >It is also possible to use fetchmail without smtp-server and
 >pipe the mails directely to procmail instead.

Or, if you don't have procmail, using the option:

-m cat

will cat the mail to standard out.

I had this exact same question a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn't until I read
this that I understood what the -m option was used for (and how useful
it could be to me).  And here I wasted all this time trying to write a program
to open port 25 and mimic SMTP ... hah.