Re: Latest cygwin setup.exe 2.78.2.9 crashes when run via VNC

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:19:25PM -0400, Chris Patti wrote:
>At 01:11 PM 10/5/2001 -0400, John Peacock wrote:
>>Chris Patti wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks;
>>>
>>> We have no direct access to an NT server we need to install cygwin on.
>>>
>>> So we're using VNC (WinVNC) to remotely connect to that
>>> server.  Unfortunately the server isn't internet connected so I have all
>>> the cygwin packages on a network drive.
>>>
>>> Every time I try running setup.exe and select "Install from Local
>>> directory" setup.exe dies with an access violation dialog.
>>
>>Can you copy the files from the network share to an actual local drive?
>>I doubt that anything VNC is doing should interfere with the Installer.
>>Maybe there is something wrong with the network connection to the shared
>>
>>Which version of VNC are you using?  You might try the TridiaVNC
>>version, which has some new compression methods.  Just for the purpose
>>of mixing things up, it would be helpful to know whether other types
>>of VNC display the same behavior.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Turns out this is a previously reported problem, I got my distro from
>mirrors.rcn.net (There's a bogus mingw there that's 154 bytes large.  Oops.
>That crashes setup)

It's not a bogus mingw.  It's an empty tar file.  Earnie changed the
name from mingw to mingw-runtime and left an empty mingw file around to
properly uninstall the old files.  154 bytes is the correct size.

>I'm cleaning up the mess now :)
>

>-Chris
>(Someone may wish to let the rcn mirrors maintainer know)

There is nothing wrong with rcn.  I'm sure that hundreds of people (like me)
are using it without error.

cgf

cgf