Re: Moving cygwin to W2k from Win95

Brian Keener wrote:
> On Win2000 I have been unable to get this to work
> and I have searched the Web sites and I have tried the mkpasswd -l, mkpasswd
> -d, mkgroup and such and still no login - I have to simply use the bash shell
> from the cygwin batch file.

Well,  I did it again.  A second look at the cygwin archives and search using
google reveals I should have been more persistent in my search through the
archive before asking and that on March 30 2001 in message
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-03/msg01797.html Corinna Vinschen advised
Mark Calder that:

>> You cannot change user context on NT/W2K if your account
>> has not explicitely set several user rights. Even administrator
>> doesn't have all these user rights. These rights are
>>
>>     "Act as part of the operating system"
>>     "Replace process level token"
>>     "Increase quotas"
>>
>> In W2K you have to set these rights in the local or domain security
>> policy mmc snap-in

Once the above was changed my login setup like I had on Win95 began working like
a champ opn Win2000.  I wonder if the FAQ question about su shouldbe expanded to
include info about accounts, passwords, mkpasswd and login and some of the
security settings required and differences between Win9x and NT/2000. Or
possibly a new section in the user guide would be appropriate.  Just tossing it
about and I might be the only one doing this with login instead of a straight
bash shell but I also wonder if this login info be used in other packages as
well.

Thanks to all and once again - sorry for cluttering the mailing list.

As cgf suggested a while back I guess I need to go read:

"How to Ask Questions The Smart Way" at:

bk