Re: Time-setting

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Starks-Browning" <starksb@ebi.ac.uk>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: Time-setting

> But I don't understand what the point is.  What problem does it solve?
> I've never set TZ on Win98 or NT, and I don't see any discrepency
> between ls -l and Explorer times.  So I don't know what to write in
> the FAQ.
>
> Cheers,
> David

It's probably explained at that URL :]. TZ is used on Netware servers,
and on unix machines (and possibly many other places :}). It's very
often used by ported-from-unix software under windows and DOS. It tells
the software the GMT offset used by the time returned by get time calls.

IIRC cygwin queries win32 for this data and will tell any app that
queries via libc the relevant details. However some apps do not know
that libc can supply the gmt offset, so they need to be told via TZ.

Corinna - is that about right?

Rob