inconsistent inetd rsh behavior with unc paths

I just wanted to point out something I found while I am
trying to get rsh to work-

If I have //unc-path/to-my/home as my home directory
in /etc/passwd, I CANNOT rsh to my machine when
inetd is started as a service (whether I start it
or SYSTEM starts it). But if I start inetd from the
command line, rsh works fine.

I don't know what the intended behavior is for rsh or
inetd, but I don't understand why they work differently
when started as a service or started from the command line.
Maybe an environment thing? If anyone can point me in the
right direction, I think it might help me in my quest to get
rsh working with inetd as a service.

TIA,
Peter Buckley

--