Re: vim 6.0 & funny ^M

Chris@Icarian.com wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, do you know if:
>
> 1) If setting fileformat="dos", will write files as dos files with <CR><NL>?

Yes

> 2) If I wanted to have the files written as unix files with the EOL as just
> <NL>, fileformat should be "unix".

Yes

> 3) is there an easy way I can convert a file within vim from <CR><NL> to
> <NL>

If you have a file opened in "dos" mode, and you want to save it as unix mode,
do "set fileformat=unix" and then save the file.

You should read the VIM help on "fileformat" and "fileformats".  Basically, you
should set your fileformats variable to "dos,unix".  If the fileformats variable
is set, vim will try to perform automatic detection of the file type based on
the first CR/NL/CRNL in the file.

I think that fileformats is set properly by default in the standard VIM
distribution, however i tweak my config pretty heavily, so i'm not fully sure
about this.

If all else fails, and you have a file that has a mix of <CR> and <CR><NL>, you
can always do:

    :%s/<Ctrl-V><Ctrl-M>//g

> 4) Is there a dos2unix for cygwin &

Check out the the d2u and u2d programs in the "misc" package in CygUtils-1.1:
"http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/misc/index.html";

Just my 2 cents...

Good Luck.

...alex...