rsh inetd no remote directory

I have an rsh/inetd question-

I have followed ALL the directions in the
inetutils README. I searched the archives
with google but didn't come up with anything
pertinent. I read the man pages for rshd, inetd,
and rsh. I've created .rhosts, hosts.equiv and
hosts files in /etc/ (although I don't know
what these are or are for, or if I did it right,
I figured if I tried it and got it wrong I might
at least get a different error).

But my problem is the same- I have inetutils -14
inetd installed as a service (inetd --install-as-service),
and when I try to rsh my_machine 'who'
(or any other command) it gives me this error
"No remote directory." In the rshd man page,
it says this error is caused by the chdir command
to the home directory failing. I get the same error
from a Solaris machine or an NT machine with cygwin.

Currently my home directory is on a network share,
which I have mounted (system, binmode) to
/home/pbuckley. The HOME user environment variable
in NT is set to /home/pbuckley. When I rsh with no
command (hence rlogin) it takes me to the network
share, //network_share/user/pbuckley.

Can anyone tell me where to go to figure this out?
I tried setting the HOME environment variable to
a local folder, with no change in the error. I have
tried starting the service as myself (pbuckley) instead
of system, but that doesn't help.

Of course, the kicker is that if I start inetd from the
command line, rsh works fine and dandy. Any hints
on why it won't work when inetd is a service? Is there
a way that I can debug this? I haven't used gdb before,
but I saw someone posting about "debugging inetd" in
the archives.

TIA,
Peter

--