Re: Slightly different interpretation of $PATH between Bash and Perl

At 09:11 AM 9/27/2001, Peter Buckley wrote:
>I don't remember if it is recommended, but I have heard people say that
>you can make a copy of bash.exe and rename it to sh.exe and delete or
>rename the old sh.exe so perl and make will use bash instead of ash.

It's not recommended to replace sh.exe (ash) with bash.exe.  The main
reason is that bash is slower than ash, which is important for configures.
Also, anyone who does replace sh.exe with bash.exe will see it changed back
to ash when upgrading via setup.  A better solution might be to invoke
bash in the system() call for perl if bash is what's required for the
script.  Another alternative is to modify the script to be ash (i.e.
Bourne shell) compatible.