debug help: sudden loss of network functions with perl in cygwin

I am failing to successfully connect to my network through perl->cygwin.
Several scripts were working fine, now none work.  No edits were made.

This fails while it worked just fine two days ago:

#!/c/usr/bin/perl -w

use Net::FTP;
$ftp = Net::FTP->new('somehost.com', Debug => 1, Timeout => 60 );

if ( ! defined $ftp ) {
     print "failed\n";
     print "report: $@\n";
     exit;
}

It reports "Net::FTP: Timeout".  It comes back instantly (NOT 60 secs), just
as it
does when I'm not even connected to the network.

ftp from the cygwin command line works fine

perl: new HTTP::request
also fails while by regular browsers still work

The thing I did around the time this happened was to remove TCP-IP->lan
adapter
and replace it (for another reason).

THings I've tried:
ftp from command line: OK
http from web browsers: OK
telnet somehost.com 80 (manual http GET): OK
ftp from AbsoluteFTP: OK
connect to network over dialup: NO CHANGE, problem still exists
reinstall perl, cygwin
completely removed TCP->IP from network setup, reboot, reinstall: NO CHANGE

Running WINMe, dell 4000 laptop, 3com lan card

Any debug tips?  I'd really like to get my scripts back up and running and
I'm out
of things to try.