Inetd -d "+Closing from 21"

I am running Windows ME (Think of the word "Windows" as a replacement for a
negative four letter word :) and the latest cygwin stuff, as of today via
setup.exe. I DLed and installed all the packages -- binaries --, and read
several READMEs to setup login properly (yes, yes I know, win9x doesnt
handle them right). I get "+Closing from 21" on just about every server
under inetd: in.ftp, in.telnetd, echo (wtf?! it's internal), etc etc. I did
config all my passwd/group up stuff right (I think) and I also ran the
iu-config the README suggested. With all of that said I also surfed the mail
archives and google and several similar problems came up but all of the
solutions provided either did not fit my problem or were ineffective. Maybe
I am doing something wrong. Any assistance would be greately appreciated.