Re: German Win98, US Win95 keyboard --> no ;'` keys in Bash

Hi, Marius! :)

Good to hear from you!

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 02:14:49PM -0700, Jason Tiller wrote:

> > > How many failing bug reports have we had?

> > Two or three.

> Could you provide message-ids, or maybe even links to them on the
> archive?  If that's not too much hassle for you.

Here they are:

> I'm still alive, and I was actually following this thread.  And the
> threat of changing the right Alt into AltGr unconditionally might
> even make me forget my usual lazyness (hey, Larry Wall said it was
> one of the great virtues of programming!) and do something.

Hey, lazy = do it once and then forget about it.  I'm all for that!

> However my "enhanced META-translator" is only used on Windows
> NT/2000, so it shouldn't have broken anything in this specific case
> (Win98 + US keyboard).

Ah.  I knew that Win(9[58]|ME) didn't have all of the facilities that
NT did and I recall that you had a separate method for Win9x.  I
hadn't yet looked at the code to see that you only changed the
algorithm for NT/2K.

Hmm.  Well, the problem is that I don't believe it worked for Win9x in
the first place!  At least, not for those with English language but
international layout keyboards.

> And if I understood the original problem report correctly (not
> working ' ` ; with US keyboard layout), it has nothing to do with
> AltGr at all.

The first report I see (in msg00857) is from an Italian user.

The second report (msg01181) is from a UK user who doesn't explicitly
state what his keyboard settings are.

The third report (Hans-Bernhard's, msg01241) is the most confusing -
a US keyboard layout with a German OS.

> I think the only constructive thing I can suggest at the moment, is
> to compile and run the attached program -- it displays raw console
> keyboard events Cygwin (and any other Win32 application) gets from
> the operating system.

This is very handy.  Thanks!  That will at least give the people who
are having problems a chance to delve into what's going on for them.

I hope we can get reports that would point in a direction to fix this
once and for all.  Thank you, Marius!!

---Jason
jtiller@sjm.com