RE: Invoking SQL*Plus from within cygwin

If you want to connect to a remote Oracle DB you need NET8 to do so.

Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: Upat54wo@aol.com [mailto:Upat54wo@aol.com]
Sent: 19. september 2001 18:27
To: alecclews@yahoo.com; troy.noble@channelpoint.com
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Invoking SQL*Plus from within cygwin

The latest good news is sqlplus no longer crashes - I actually get a
password prompt, so I am much closer than before.   Thanks for all the
hints.

I do still have a problem, though.  I am getting ORA-012560 -
TNS:protocol adaptor error

>From my experience on UNIX, I had a registry entry  TNS_ADMIN which
contained the path of tnsnames.ora.  I don't see any registry or NT
environment variables on the server or client which performs the same
function.  I've added both and re-tried but I still receive the same
message.

I don't have Oracle installed on my client.  Do I need to have NET8
installed locally?  Remember I can run sqlplus from the cmd prompt and
sqlplusw from a shortcut mapped to the server without any problems.

Thanks again for all the help.