Re: cron / crontab different permissions

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 04:27:21PM +0100, Dan Gardner wrote:
> I found/use the same work around:
> crontab blabla;chmod 666 /var/cron/tabs/username
>
> Its a shame as just 2 weeks ago this was working fine for me,  then windows
> does its blue-screen belly flop.  I didn't keep a record of the cron &
> cygwin version I was using previously.
>
> Personally I've been through the source, as I had to turn off Event Log
> logging, but I'm not a very good source editor yet, if I find anything I'll
> let you know.
>
> I'm on the opinion it may be related to the environment value for CYGWIN, or
> maybe the stuff below:
>
> Just a note, when the makefile has the following two lines:
> 			$(INSTALL) -c -m  755 -o root -s cron
> $(DESTSBIN)/
> 			$(INSTALL) -c -m 4755 -o root -s crontab $(DESTBIN)/
> I replace root with SYSTEM.  I presume this is correct ?! > anyone who knows
> :).

Sorry that I was unresponsive here.

I _think_ the correct way would be that crontab tries to give
group membership of the tabs file always to SYSTEM and the
permission bits should be 640.  If anybody has a better solution
in the light of not having s-uid support please feel free to
suggest it.

And, yes, you're right. Substitute `root' by `SYSTEM' in the
Makefile.

I hope to be able to upload a patched version of cron this week.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.