Re: Binutils and GCC

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:47:20PM -0700, Doug Johnson wrote:
>I am having a similar experience.  I built a cross compiling gcc for
>W98->MIPS last week using 1.3.2.  Today I rebuilt my system from bare
>metal to run W2K.  Everything else is fine, but I cannot compile
>binutils using 1.3.3.  I get the same error that David is getting.
>
>I have tried to revert to 1.3.2, but that doesn't work because for some
>reason setup now believes that the cygwin package should be
>cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.bz2 (rather than cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz, which is
>what I have from my previous install).
>
>So I'm kind of toast for the moment.  Any guidance would be helpful.

It is just C source code we're talking about, right?  You have an editor?
Look at the place where the errors are coming from and make an
educated guess about fixing it.

What is the worse that can happen?  If you screw up do you think that
this will cause gcc to subtly miscompile your code so that all of the
add instructions are turned into sub instructions or something?  That's
not going to happen.

You are all programmers right?  Inspect the code.  Invest five minutes
worth of analysis into the problem.

If this is too tough for you, try removing the offending file from the
makefile or building from CVS sources.

I can't believe that there are three messages on this subject from people
who are apparently programmers without one suggested fix.

cgf

cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/