cygwin (rm -rf) ignores windows2000 security

Rather interesting...

I am helping setup a lab of windows 2000 machines, for
programming. We previously were using linux/unix
machines but the district is FORCING us to use windows
2000... although they don't have the equipment needed
for the move.. So we are still using the linux servers
via telnet.. ::deep sigh:: don't get me started...

Anyway, as a perhaps semi-evil solution would be to
use cygwin. Specifically for gcc programming, and can
use the jdk from sun with the built in stuff (and
inside cygwin as well, for those who want vi,etc).
Using cygwin would be MUCH more prefered (not to
meantion cheaper, less training, work,etc) then using
borlan...

So I've been setting up an image which we would then
put on the machines. So on it I install java, win2k
updates,etc. Then put cygwin on (as administrator). I
had inevertanly stubled across the problem, when I had
frogotten I wasn't administrator.

Cygwin (I presume) runs as the user "administrator".
So any security measures that apply to him are open.
Although when trying to go to a protected directory I
get a permissions denied as expected. I have done
several experaments to find out what it has been
doing...

So I can delete files that are in the home directory
just fine. I can also go to the "c" drive by "cd C:".
I had created several files and a folder at
C:/test_folder/ and inside it had (test1 through 4
.txt). Then manually set the folder to ONLY be used by
"administrator" with full access. I can't cd into the
directory , but I can delete files with "rm -rf".
Although using just plain rm does not work. With rm
-rf, I get the "permission denied" error, but it still
deletes the file.

Also, interestingly, I also made a directory that was
C:/test2. I had it so it was only administrator once
again, but gave admin only read access. So I can't
delete it with rm -rf.

When I try to delete/modify a file on a network
server, it gets the access denied. This is probably
obvious for it has to have a user athenticated.

This is a BIG security hole and suggest it be fixed
ASAP. Although its not that big of a deal (only local
file systems), and we can just reimage the machines.
This could be a big problem for someone else. Also
especially sence management might want to push some
more, and have NO linux machines (would take a lot
more pushing to get there) and have all files local.
Then everyone's hard work coding can get toasted in
one quick sweep.

Let me know what can be done about it, how this works
,etc. I don't know c++ (I can probably read it and
find out whats going on) but can't really "code"
(thats why I'm in the class) but I'll help out with
what I can.

thanks
Ian