Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:55:34 +0200
From: Ulf Erikson <ulferikson@yahoo.com>
Subject: Mutt (on cygwin) and binary attachments
To: Olaf Föllinger <Olaf.Foellinger@sesa.de>

Hi,

Sorry to jump on you personally like this, but I found your discussion
on cygwin@cygwin.com, a mailing list which I don't follow myself.

Thing is that a similar question arose at news://comp.mail.mutt, which
had me recall that there were something in the announcement of
mutt-1.2.5i-2 for cygwin that I couldn't understand at first and later
thought were very clever. Now I think that is what causes your
troubles, though.. After rethinking (again) I guessed that if it was
such a problem then all should have gone back to mutt-1.2.5i-1.
Checking the ftp-sites this doesn't seem to be the case. and.. your
discussion of corrupted binary files had me try out my theory.

I've not used Mutt on Cygwin for half a year or so (with my slow
machine mutt on win32 is much smoother:), but still got it installed.
Downloading the two pre-compiled packages and send binary attachements
with both I came to the conclusion that:

 The pre-compiled binary for Mutt, named mutt-1.2.5i-2, corrupt files.

This is an excerpt of the old announcements for "-1":
____________________

| ************************************************************
| ***   Mutt treats all files as binary files regardless   ***
| ***   whether a mount point is textmode or binmode!      ***
| ************************************************************
|
| So care for the mutt configuration files, too. They must not have
| CR/LF line endings. This includes /etc/Muttrc and /etc/mime.types.
| This may change in a future version.
____________________

For "-2" things got changed into:
____________________

| *********************************************************************
| ***       Mutt treats now all input files as text files and       ***
| ***      writes all output files as binary files regardless       ***
| ***         whether a mount point is textmode or binmode!         ***
| *********************************************************************
____________________

Of course this fixes the need for Unix like configuration files, but
it corrupts binaries...

So in case you have not compiled mutt yourself, from the sources at
www.mutt.org, going back to the first cygwin patchlevel could be worth
a try.

--
Ulf

----- End forwarded message -----

I've changed back to mutt 1.2.5-1 and everything seems to work now.

Gruss Olaf

--
Olaf Föllinger
Leiter Fachbereich IT