Re: Windows XP Fix

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 11:30:47AM -0400, Greg Fodor wrote:
>Well, I was getting a error in allocating the heap when running a cygwin
>program within another cygwin program (this, from reading the archives,
>seems to be the main Windows XP issue.) The error disappeared completely
>by replacing bash.exe from the older install and executing programs from
>within that shell. If I try to execute programs from within cmd.exe
>which call other programs (tar cfz for example, which executes gzip from
>within tar) the problem persists.. however from within the older
>bash.exe it does not occur.
>
>I figured this out via a painful process of elimination of files between
>an older copied functional install on XP and a newly installed from the
>net non-functional install on XP.
>
>Regardless of what you state the problem to be, I'm running a handful of
>daemons and working in a cygwin environment under Windows XP as I type
>this and was not able to do so until I copied over the old bash.exe. I
>don't know enough about cygwin's internals to extrapolate what this
>means, but that's what I have to present to the list for people who are
>having the same problem.

Did you even read what I said?  Do you know what "tcsh" is by any chance?
It's an alternate shell to bash.  It's *known* to fail on Windows XP.
inetd is known to fail on Windows XP.

How would suggesting that people change to some other version of bash
solve their problems?

What you're basically saying is "I'm completely ignorant of anything
that is going on.  However I found a magic incantation that works fine
so I'm using that.  Please don't confuse me with your silly attempts to
explain the situation to me.  I must now walk widdershins around my
computer.  Where is that chicken...?"

>Basically the internal nature of the issue makes no difference to me
>(nor, I'd guess, to 99% of the people who want cygwin to run on XP.)
>Upon your own investigation and confirmation, it might be a good idea to
>put a small blurb on the front page as this being a temporary quick fix
>to the problem.

I'm not investigating or confirming anything.  The statement on the main
page stays until Windows XP is released.  You can probably consult some
Tarot cards to figure out when that will be.

cgf