Re: 1.3.2 rmdir fails if CWD is in the directory to be deleted?

John,

I'm not sure I'd call it an "issue" since I don't think it's likely ever to
be "resolved."

This reflects a restriction imposed by Windows that no file system entity
that is in use (open file, program being executed, directory that is a
current working directory, etc.) can be deleted.

Unix can accomplish this sort of thing (deletion of in-use file system
entities) because of the strong distinction and separation between the name
of a thing (a directory entry) and the thing itself (an inode, whether
internal or on disk). "Real" Unix systems use internal reference counting
(multiple levels of it, in fact) to defer actions like the removal of a
file or directory (inode) independent of the removal of the entity's last
referencing directory entry (which is the direct consequence of an unlink
or rmdir call).

Simulating this in Cygwin would presumably require herculean hoop-jumping
and major slight-of-hand and I tend to doubt the principals would consider
it worth the effort.

In short, "Cygwin is not Unix" and this is one place where the distinction
is manifest as a difference in operation.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA