Re: Feature request: inetd as a service on win98

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:10:45AM -0400, Habermann, David (DA) wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:10:45AM +0200, Gerald Villemure wrote:
> >> In other words run inetd as a true service in win98 such that I can login
> >> and logout without affecting the inetd process.  Somewhat like the VNC
> >> server dose.
> >>
> >> One option perhaps would be to introduce a new command in cygwin to hide
> >> window based on PID with the option to also detach it from the session so
> >> the person can log out without a dialog popping up saying you need to
> close
> >> all your apps first.
> >
> >Just a question:  Why don't you contribute such a solution to
> >our community driven open source project called Cygwin?
>
> In case it helps, I found that addition of the following code bit
> (originally
> found as part of the VNC project) to SSHD allows it to detach from the DOS
> window in which it was running, allowing the DOS window to be closed
> on Win98.

FWIW, I think that shouldn't be necessary anymore beginning with
the next Cygwin version.  We got a patch which should do the
FreeConsole() automagically when a process has daemonised itself
using the setsid() call.  Thanks anyway.

> Sorry that I'm not providing this in the standard patch form, but
>
> no one has ever taught me how to create one.

diff -up oldsource newsource

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.