RE: cygwin and GPL

All depends on your application:

If you just use cygwin because you need a bash shell and some *nix utilities
but compile your application natively for Windows (using mingw or
-mno-cygwin), that is if you own application do *not* reference cygwin1.dll
in any way, the you just need to put the sources for the cygwin packages
that you provide in binary format.

OTOH, if your application uses cygwin1.dll, then your application *is*
GPLed, so you *must* give access to the source code to anybody gets the
binary. The only alternative is to buy a commercial cygwin license to
RedHat.

Best regards,

	Bernard

PS: Of course, as usual, IANAL and I don't talk for RedHat.

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE