RE: press for cygwin

Hmm...  Should I paint a bulls eye on my chest here.  Eh.  Why not.

Couple of quick notes on the thread.

1)  Complete agreement with Jonathon Merz on the WinZip thing.  Going to bz2
just to thwart WinZip doesn't seem like a good use of energy.  Unfortunately
at the time I wrote the article bz2 wasn't in use for the packages.  WinZip,
being the most popular zip tool for Windows, seemed the obvious choice for
unzipping the cygwin packages.  You wouldn't believe how long it takes to
get an article printed. :(

2)  Goes the same for the references to old versions, etc.  The article's
almost a year old now, believe it or not.

3)  Yes I know it's an unsupported install, but I think the point was missed
here.  Many windows admins won't install the full cygwin installation, and
most won't have a clue what to do with bash, etc.  The point here isn't to
exclude people from a great tool, but to help make an intermediate step more
palatable.  I know many will disagree with this, with sentiments along the
lines of "They should just learn how to work with it."  I disagree.  I think
it's worth it to get telnet replaced, in whatever fashion that happens.
Bashless or not.

4)  The weird "ps &-ef" and "kill &-HUP <PID>" commands are not my fault.
<whine>  The publisher's somehow managed to screw up some of the command
lines.  </whine>  They will be corrected soon hopefully.

I apologize if I've stepped on some toes with this article.  I know that
here I'm talking to the folks who are satisfied with the full cygwin
install, or are knowledgeable enough about it to install the portions
necessary without the hand holding.  You aren't the target audience for a
piece like this.  I hoped to catch those people who are largely unaware of
cygwin and ssh and maybe give them a push into using it.

Mark