press for cygwin

I emailed the author-

I read your cygwin/OpenSSH article at win2kmag.com-

I didn't care for it. You are proposing an unsupported method
to install the cygwin toolset- even without this press for cygwin,
the cygwin mailing list gets an email a week about "I installed
with winzip, and something doesn't work." Many of the developers
are tired of answering people who don't follow basic directions
that are there for good reasons- winzip can't handle necessary
things like symlinks- and sometimes they are a little curt with
people who have cygwin problems and have shot themselves in
the foot by performing a half-baked install.

You might want to check the archives of the cygwin mailing
list to see the numerous messages about broken installs due
to not following directions.

Also- you don't mention setting the CYGWIN variable to "ntsec",
which I believe is required based on the openssh-2.9p2.readme
(for sshd to work or be secure).

You are setting a lot of people up for frustration and failure by
recommending an incomplete/unsupported installation of these tools-
when installed correctly, the cygwin toolset is fantastic.

Maybe you should read and point people to http://tech.erdelynet.com.
It has an excellent cygwin and ssh setup section, and ssh mailing list.
Of course, YOU probably won't get all the pleas for help from people
following your directions- the cygwin list/developers will.

I think you should more carefully consider the implications of your article
before you
let someone publish it. "Does a man build a tower without first considering
whether he has the time and materials to build it?" I forget what verse that
is.

Even though I disagree with you on the article,
I want to thank you for helping out with crosswalk.com.

-Peter