From: Downey, Brian [mailto:Brian_Downey@quickenloans.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 7:18 AM
To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Proper way to start dos/win executables?

Hi everyone..

I have a question regarding the starting of a windows executable from within
a cygwin shell script.

The problem I'm having is allowing the passing of modifiers to the original
.exe without using a windows .cmd or .bat file. For example I need to start
a java runtime with these modifiers:

java -Xms64m -Xmx64m ObUpdateGUI "ObUpdateGUI"

Currently, the command resides in a windows .cmd file.  When I attempt to
call this from my script using this:

exec $SCRIPT_DIR/start1.cmd &

It simply runs java from within the cygwin shell and halts the processing of
the script.  I tested out calling "notepad.exe" directly without a .cmd file
and this seems to work.  Is there a better way to do this other than using
.cmd files?  Would it also prevent the script from halting upon execution?

Thanks in advance!

Brian Downey