Re: Automake 1.4l released

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
[snip]
> As you are not overly familiar with Cygwin, I'm not very familiar with
> automake.  I know that autoconf bends over backwards to accomodate older
> OSes.

Not really, in the sense you mean.  'autoconf' requires GNU m4 and
perl on the maintainer side -- not really bending over backwards.

It is the generated 'configure' that bends over backwards to
accomodate older/non-traditional OSes.

> I don't know what automake does.

'automake' has a similar policy.  The maintainer of a package needs a
reasonable system.  The generated Makefile.in can be used on
older/non-traditiona OSes, as long as the user doesn't invoke any
maintainer rules.

'make distcheck' is a maintainer rule, since it checks if the
distribution tarball generated is complete.

- hari