RE: 1.3.2: Gnu Emacs Ange Ftp Fails

Hi,

I have done some more study on problem.

The Gnu Emacs Ange-ftp is using the cygwin FTP to
access a remote file. I have compared the behaviours
of both cygwin FTP 1.3.1-1 and FTP 1.3.2-1 using in
the cygwin bash shell running within GNU Emacs. I have
notice some subtle differences. With that I am able to
get around the problem by adding a line in my .emacs
file temporarily.

----------------------
When I am using cygwin FTP 1.3.1-1, the following is
what I see.

% ftp -i -n -g -v
open 180.8.33.125
Connected to 180.8.33.125.
220 sgsun325 FTP server (SunOS 5.6) ready.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
user fsng228
331 Password required for fsng228.
Password:
230 User fsng228 logged in.
ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls
(180.8.27.15,4025) (0 bytes).
total 37703
drwxr-xr-x  20 fsng228  sfw         1024 Aug  2 19:10
.

----------------------
When I am using cygwin FTP 1.3.2-1, the following is
what I see.

% ftp -i -n -g -v
open 180.8.33.125
Connected to 180.8.33.125.
220 sgsun325 FTP server (SunOS 5.6) ready.
user fsng228
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
331 Password required for fsng228.
Password:
230 User fsng228 logged in.
ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls
(180.8.27.15,4661) (0 bytes).
total 37719
drwxr-xr-x  20 fsng228  sfw         1024 Aug  3 18:02
.

----------------------
The interesting thing is cygwin FTP 1.3.2-1 does not
flushed out all the ftp server responses to a non tty
terminal (bash shell running within GNU Emacs in this
case), whereas cygwin FTP 1.3.1-1 does. The line
"Remote system type is UNIX" should appear before
"user fsng228" which I entered.

I do not know why is there a difference between the
two versions. But with that knowledge, I can get
around the problem by adding this line in my .emacs
file.

(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-args (list "-i" "-n" "-g"
"-v" "--prompt" ""))

The above line set the ftp prompt to be a null string
which will indirectly cause cygwin FTP 1.3.2-1 to
flush out all the ftp server responses it received
immediately.

Best Regards,
Ayamico Hamasaki

--- "Robinow, David" <drobinow@dayton.adroit.com>