Re: Licensing terms

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:37:07AM -0400, Clark, Matthew C (FL51) wrote:

> [...]

First,
I don't think that the explanations given here have been completely
correct.  If you provide the sources to your application under the GPL
you don't need to provide sources to cygwin, too.  Check out the licensing
terms at http://cygwin.com/.

Second,
If your library uses no cygwin imports like (strchr, strcpy, etc.) then
the GPL doesn't apply.  You can verify this with the nm command.  If you
have undefined symbols then you haven't isolated your library from cygwin.

Regardless, if the end user links with gcc under cygwin, they *will* be
using the cygwin DLL.  Their sources will be GPLed.

If you don't want to use cygwin, then use -mno-cygwin.

cgf