Problems building Xemacs/i686-pc-cygwin

Lieber Cygwin:

I'm dropping the middle of a conversation from xemacs-beta here because the
problem seems to originate in one of the cygwin applications.
I've been trying to build the current beta of xemacs-21.5 and having no joy
at all.
Configure works fine, the "make" fails.
ld is looking for several symbols "_imp__dbm_????????;" these are defined
in "/bin/libgdbm.dll.a" and referenced from "<xemacs-build-dir>/database.o"
-- the latter being customized from configure.

It would appear that the configuration tools don't know to look for the
".dll.a" file; indeed, I didn't notice it among the many appendages to the
link library list.

Anyway, here is the previous conversation and the log of my build failure.

 > At 7/29/01 03:59 AM (Sunday), David Starks-Browning wrote:
 >> On Saturday 28 Jul 01, David A. Cobb writes:
 >>> I did "make realclean" then manually deleted /everything/ under the build
 >>> directory (<source>/i686-pc-cygwin) except the build script.
 >>
 >> "build script"?  Isn't it just configure, make, make install?
 >>

 > Pretty much.  I put it in a script so I could go eat while waiting for
it to complete.  It > also makes it somewhat simpler to capture the log.
 > QUOTE
#! /bin/bash -x
pwd
type sh
ls -l /usr/bin/sh
#
cygcheck sh
cygcheck make
#
../configure i686-pc-cygwin --prefix=/usr/local/ \
  --exec-prefix=/usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin/ \
  --libdir=/usr/local/lib/ \
  --without-x \
  --with-site-lisp \
  --with-database=gdbm \
  --with-sound=native,noesd \
  --use-union-type && \
make && \
make install
END-QUOTE

 >>> That did get
 >>> me beyond the previous error.  I now find several undefined symbols
 >>> "_imp__dbm_*" which looks like a missing header in the database source(?).
 >>
 >> I had no such errors.  I suspect your Cygwin installation is messed up.
 >>
 > OK.  I did the following --
 > re-install gdbm (with source)
 > re-install Postgresql (with source)
 >
 >  Got rid of all remnant of previous build.
 > Take a day and a half trying to free enough disk space.
 > Ran it again.
 >
 > SAME RESULT, SAME PLACE
 >
 > I've attached the log.
 > Two things catch my eye:  the error message attributes the error to the ld.
 > And configure claims that ld is not GNU ld.  Of course, it's Cygwin; I
don't know
 > whether that's the same.
 >
 > I did determine that the "missing" symbols are in "/bin/libgdbm.dll.a" and
 > referenced from "<build-dir>/?/database.o".
 > that name is, I think, unique to Cygwin; certainly ".dll" is a
windows-ism.

 > I'm going to copy this mail to cygwin-list in the hope that Chuck, or
someone, can > clue me in whether something needs to be done to pick up
that lib.

 >>> I also get the somewhat peculiar symptom that the configure script
actually
 >>> tries to launch some x-windows function because I get a Windoze dialog
 >>> about not finding an "LIBX11.DLL"
 >>
 >> I noticed this too, on Win98 but not on WinNT4.  Doesn't seem to cause
 >> any problem.
 >
 > Yup.  I does show, however, that configure doesn't pay much attention to my
no X.
 > Period.
 >

 >> This is at the top of your build log:
 >>
 >>> /usr/local/src/XEmacs/xemacs-21.5/i686-pc-cygwin
 >>> Error: could not find sh
 >>>
 >>> Use -h to see help about each section
 >>
 > /bin/sh is a symlink currently set to "/bin/bash;"  evidently Cygcheck
doesn't
 > follow the link.
 >>
 >>> Found: C:\#Cygwin#\bin\make.exe
 >>> C:\#Cygwin#\bin\make.exe
 >>>   C:\#Cygwin#\bin\cygwin1.dll
 >>>     C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.dll
 >>>
 >>> Use -h to see help about each section
 >>
 >> a. I think we'd have to see your "build script" to make sense of
 >>   this.  I've never seen output like this directly from configure.
 >>   In fact it looks like cygcheck output.
 >
 > It is!
 >

 >> b. If sh is missing, you're going to have problems!
 >>
 > It isn't!
 >

 >> c. You've got a /etc/config.site?  That's not standard.  What's in it?
 >>
 > Then I dunno where it came from!  I cerainly never wrote it.
 > Anyway, here it is
QUOTE
# $Header: /usr/people/sam/tiff/RCS/config.site,v 1.13 1996/06/05 21:24:33
sam Exp $
#
# TIFF Software
#
# Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam Leffler
# Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
# its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
# that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear in
# all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the names of
# Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
# publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
# permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
# EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
# WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
#
# IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
# OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
# WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF
# LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
# OF THIS SOFTWARE.
#
#
# This file holds site-specific configuration parameters.
#
# Nothing is defined in here by default, the definitions
# commented out below serve as documentation for what you
# can set in this file or a config.local file.
#
# Note that you do not need to set anything here unless you
# want to override the auto-configuration behaviour and/or
# interactive prompting done by the configure script.
#
#
# Package controls.
#
#DSO="auto"                     # auto|IRIX|IRIX52 enable DSO support for
system
#JPEG="no"                      # yes|no configure JPEG support (see below)
#ZIP="no"                       # yes|no configure Deflate support (see below)
#LIBGL="auto"                   # yes|no|auto configure IRIS GL-based tools
#LIBIMAGE="auto"                # yes|no|auto configure SGI RGB image tools
#HTML="no"                      # yes|no install HTML documentation
#
# Directory parameters.
#
#DIR_BIN="/usr/local/bin"               # directory for tools
#DIR_LIB="/usr/local/lib"               # directory for libraries
#DIR_INC="/usr/local/include"           # directory for include files
#DIR_MAN="/usr/local/man"               # directory for manual pages
#DIR_HTML="/var/httpd/htdocs/tiff"      # directory for HTML documentation
#
# Configuring supporting libraries.
#
# The TIFF software makes use of two ancillary packages: the IJG
# distribution to support the JPEG codec and the zlib distribution
# to support the Deflate codec.  To setup use of these packages you
# need to specify where each package's include files are located and
# where the pre-built library (static archive or DSO) is located.
# These may be different or the same (as when the package is compiled
# and referenced directly from the place where the software was
# loaded and compiled).
#
# DIRS_LIBINC is a space-separated list of directories to use for
# locating include files in these packages.  Note that it should not
# include -I options as might be passed to the C preprocessor; these
# are automatically added by the configure script when the Makefiles
# are generated.
#
# DIR_<package>LIB is the pathname of the directory where <package>'s
# pre-built library may be found; this is used when building a TIFF
# DSO (on systems where support is present) and when building the
# programs in the tools directory.  By default the configure script
# will load the associated library using
#
#     -L${DIR_<package>LIB} -l<package>
#
# e.g. -L${DIR_JPEGLIB} -ljpeg.  If this is wrong for your system
# (e.g. your compiler/loader does not support the -L option), then
# the LIB<package> parameter can be set explicitly to specify the
# library to use.
#
#
# JPEG-specific parameters; used when JPEG support is enabled (see above).
#
# JPEG support requires release 5 or later of the IJG code,
# which you can find on the Internet at ftp.uu.net:/graphics/jpeg/.
#
#DIRS_LIBINC="$DIRS_LIBINC ../src/jpeg-5a" # directory for jpeg include files
#DIR_JPEGLIB=../src/jpeg-5a             # directory for libjpeg
#
# Deflate-specific parameters; used when Deflate support is enabled (see
above).
#
# NB: Deflate support requires version 0.92 or later of the zlib
#     library written by Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler.  Starting
#     with about 0.95 the library is called libz.a (previously it was
#     libgz.a).  The library was last found at
#
#        ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png/code/zlib-0.93.tar.gz
#
#     Look for it also at ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/archiving/zip/zlib.
#
#DIRS_LIBINC="$DIRS_LIBINC ../zlib"     # directory for zlib include files
#DIR_GZLIB="../zlib"                    # directory for libz
#
# Miscellaneous parameters.
#
#FILLORDER="MS2LSB"                     # bit order of cpu (MSB2LSB/LSB2MSB)
#MANSCHEME="sysv-source-cat-strip"      # manual page installation scheme
#
# Parameters used when building the software.
#
# Note that configure has several ENVOPTS built into it that are
# set according to the target.  This is done to help naive folks.
#
# Beware of changing the INSTALL definition; you *must* have an
# install script that emulates the Silicon Graphics install program!
#
#AR="/bin/ar"                           # pathname of suitable ar program
#AROPTS="rc"                            # options to ar for creating archive
#CC="gcc"                               # name/pathname of C compiler
#ENVOPTS="-Aa"                          # options for getting ANSI C
#GCOPTS="-g"                            # options to pass C compiler
#LIBPORT='${PORT}/libport.a'            # library with emulation code
#MACHDEPLIBS=""                         # extra libraries for linking
#PORTFUNCS=""                           # non-standard functions to emulate
#RANLIB=":"                             # pathname of suitable ranlib program
#DSOSUF="so"                            # DSO filename suffix
#LIBCOPTS="-K PIC"                      # compiler options for building library
#
# Makefile construction parameters.
#
# These should not normally be set; configure will
# deduce the appropriate syntax to use for includes.
#
#SETMAKE='MAKE  = ${MAKE}'              # define if make does not setup $MAKE
#
# General system stuff used by the distribution.
#
#CHMOD="/etc/chmod"                     # pathname of suitable chmod program
#INSTALL='${SHELL} ${PORT}/install.sh'  # SGI install program/emulator
#LN="/bin/ln"                           # pathname of suitable ln program
#LN_S="-s"                              # option to ${LN} to create symlink
#MV_F="-f"                              # option to ${MV} to force operation
#SED="/bin/sed"                         # pathname of suitable sed program
#SCRIPT_SH="/bin/sh"                    # pathname of suitable shell
#STRIP="/bin/strip"                     # strip program used by install.sh
END-QUOTE

 > So, OK, now I have a good suspicion what program wrote it.  If "#" has
the usual
 > meaning, this file will do absolutely nothing -- every line is a comment.
 >

 >> Hope this helps.
 >>
 > Me too.  So far I'm stumped.

David

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!