Re: Problem Tunneling VNC through SSH

One small caveat on this (I do this to home quite nicely).  If you have
a firewall on both ends, then you actually want to make the middle
parameter be localhost of the Forwarding Address.  For a pretty complete
discussion about this, see section 9.2.8 in the O'Reilly SSH:  The Secure
Shell book.  The last sentence states:
"In general, we recommend using localhost as the forwarding target whenever
possible.  This way, you are less likely to set up an insecure off-host forwarding by
accident".

And in my case,  I couldn't get the port forwarded through both
my firewalls.  So I had to use a local port.

My ssh command looks like the following:
ssh -l <myuser> -R 5904:localhost:5900 -L 5904:localhost:5932 home.

What this does is set up 2 pipes.  This allows me to connect to VNC
display localhost:4 and get to my machine at home running on
display 32 (-L 5904:localhost:5932), and it also sets up a pipe
that allows me to connect to display localhost:4 at home, which
connects to the VNC under Win2K on Display 0 at work
(-R 5904:localhost:5900)